Bull Rampages Again To Defeat Durham

Bull Rampages Again To Defeat Durham

Bull Rampages Again To Defeat Durham

Mark Wood took two wickets on day three against Glamorgan 2nd XI at Middlesbrough

STUMPS, DAY THREE. Glamorgan 2nd XI 348 & 240 (Goodwin 102 retd, not out) v Durham 2nd XI 332-8 dec & 219 all out (Singh 55, Clark 50, Bull 8-73). Glamorgan 2nd XI won by 37 runs.

Points - Glamorgan 23, Durham 8.

Scorecard - Click here

For the second time in a week, Glamorgan's Kieran Bull condemned Durham's 2nd XI to defeat at Middlesbrough. 

After taking five wickets when the sides met in a trophy match on Monday, the off-spinner recorded astonishing figures of 8-73 to bowl Durham out 38 runs short of their victory target.

At tea on the final day, Alastair Maiden's team looked to be cruising, with just 71 needed and five wickets in hand.

But Bull removed top-scorer Rammy Singh (55) and then claimed the four remaining wickets to leave Graham Onions stranded on 17 at the non-strikers end.

Graham Clark had earlier made a half-century for the second time in the match before he was caught by Bull, who had a hand in all but one of the 10 wickets to fall.

The events on day three were in stark contrast to those on the previous day, when most batsmen had prospered. 491 runs were scored on Tuesday, but both sides collapsed as the game drew to it's conclusion.

Murray Goodwin retired overnight in order to play for the first team in their match with Middlesex and Lukas Carey took his place in the side. The Welshmen then quickly slumped from 190-2 to 240 all out, with Max Morley (4-70) Graham Onions (3-41) and Mark Wood (2-38) ripping through the visitors' line-up.

Requiring 257 to win on a turning pitch, openers Reece Carr and Clark reached 53 before Bull claimed the first of his eight victims as Carr was bowled for 24.

All of the top five reached double figures to leave Durham seemingly in control at tea, but then Bull ran riot to inflict a first championship defeat of the season.

The 2nd XI are next in action on Monday the 14th of July when they take on Leicestershire in a one-day trophy match at Grace Road.

STUMPS, DAY TWO. Glamorgan 2nd XI 348 & 190-2 (Goodwin 102*, Walters 53) v Durham 2nd XI 332-8 declared (Clark 62, Poynter 58). Glamorgan 2nd XI lead by 206 runs with eight second innings wickets remaining.

Scorecard - Click here

Graham Clark and Stuart Poynter both hit half-centuries on a run-filled day against Glamorgan 2nd XI at Middlesbrough.

Opener Clark's innings of 62 means that the 21-year-old is averaging over 55 in his last six innings for Durham's second string.

Irish International Poynter batted at number five and struck 10 boundaries, on a day when 491 runs were scored.

All but one of Durham's batsmen reached double figures, with Mark Wood scoring 34 on his return from injury.

After declaring just 16 runs short of the Welsh outfit's first innings total, the hosts were made to toil in the field as Murray Goodwin (101*) and Stuart Walters (53) scored quickly during the evening session.

Goodwin, a 41-year-old veteran with over 300 first class games under his belt, struck 12 fours and four sixes in his 105-ball knock. First innings centurion Walters also scored quickly before he was run out by Poynter.

With a lead of 206, the visitors will look to play positively again during the morning in order to set up a run chase as both sides look to force a positive result.

STUMPS, DAY 1. Glamorgan 2nd XI 348 all out (Walters 101, Lawlor 69, Knight 50) v Durham 2nd XI 31-0. Durham 2nd XI trail Glamorgan 2nd XI by 317 runs with 10 second innings wickets remaining.

Scorecard - Click

Graham Onions capped his return to action following a back injury with two wickets for Durham 2nd XI against Glamorgan 2nd XI at Middlesbrough.

The Gateshead-born seamer, making his first appearance since the 11th of May, bowled 12 economical overs and dismissed the experienced duo of Murray Goodwin and Stewart Walters.

Walters was caught behind shortly after reaching his century, as the former Surrey man helped Glamorgan reach 348 on day one.

Openers Reece Carr and Graham Clark then guided Durham through to stumps without losing a wicket, as the hosts closed the day 317 runs behind.

After winning the toss, Glamorgan elected to bat first and Jeremy Lawlor (69) gave the visitors a good start.

Lawlor was eventually trapped lbw by the ever-improving Max Morley (3-56), and at 178-5, the Welsh outfit were in need of a big partnership.

A sixth wicket stand of 106 between Walters (101) and Gary Knight (50) duly arrived, before Onions got rid of Walters, and Mark Wood (1-41) picked up the wicket of Knight on his return from injury.

Two run outs wrapped up the innings, and Durham will begin day two on 31-0.