Cook signs off with 89 as Durham coast to victory

Cook signs off with 89 as Durham coast to victory

Cook signs off with 89 as Durham coast to victory

Result: Durham (402 & 158/1; Cook 89*, Steel 51; 23 points) beat Glamorgan (295 & 263; Ingram 70*; McCarthy 4/65; 5 points) by nine wickets

Read Barry McCarthy's post-match reaction 

Durham coasted to their first Specsavers County Championship win of the season, making light work of reaching a target of 157 in 43 overs against Glamorgan at Emirates Riverside.

Stephen Cook led the way to the nine-wicket win with an unbeaten 89 from 78 balls in his final appearance.

Cameron Steel also went for his shots from the outset and made 51 off 58 balls as Durham got home with 18.3 overs to spare.

Cook worked the ball into leg-side spaces before cutting Marchant de Lange to the rope as he scored 34 off the 54 which came off the first ten overs.

With their seamers making no impression, Glamorgan turned to Andrew Salter's off spin and Cook drove him wide of mid-off for his sixth four to reach 50 off 49 balls.

Two similar strokes for his eighth and ninth fours brought the winning runs.

Only 28 were needed when Salter persuaded Steel to chip a catch to deep mid-off, allowing Jack Burnham to assist in completing the task with an unbeaten 14.

After resuming on 92/2, Glamorgan were dismissed for 263 in their second innings, with Colin Ingram left unbeaten on 70. He made off 137 balls with seven fours and a pulled six.

Barry McCarthy finished with 4/65 after briefly coming under fire from nightwatchman Lukas Carey.

After conceding 16 runs in 11 overs, McCarthy went for 26 in two, which included a six over long-on but when he needed one for his second half-century in successive games, Carey got carried away and had his stumps splattered when he played across an in-swinger from Chris Rushworth.

Three wickets had gone down for five runs in three overs when McCarthy pinned Aneurin Donald lbw with a shooter and had David Lloyd well caught at second slip by Ryan Pringle off an edged drive.

Ingram survived a difficult chance to Steel at cover off McCarthy, but was otherwise untroubled and was kept company for 16 overs after lunch by Tom Cullen on his Championship debut.

But after making 13 he shouldered arms and lost his off stump to a Rushworth in-swinger in the sixth over of the new ball.

Marchant de Lange threatened to take it away from Durham in a ninth-wicket stand of 40 in six overs but Rushworth clung on to a return catch from a fierce drive then three overs later Michael Hogan played across the line and was bowled off his pads by McCarthy.


Close, Day Three: Glamorgan (295 & 92/2; Potts 2/16) trail Durham (405; Clark 106, Collingwood 92; de Lange 5/95) by 15 runs

A record tenth wicket stand followed by two wickets for Matty Potts has Glamorgan trailing by 15 runs with eight wickets in hand heading into the final day at Emirates Riverside.

After a collapse following the resumption after thunderstorms wiped out the morning session, Durham's last-wicket pair of Chris Rushworth and Barry McCarthy put on 68 to achieve maximum batting points with two balls to spare. 

The pair looked increasingly comfortable at the crease after bringing up a fourth batting point & cruised to the fifth with very few alarms.

Their stand was the highest for Durham's tenth wicket against Glamorgan, beating the previous record set by Vince Wells & Mark Davies.

Glamorgan were faced with a deficit of 107 and 42 overs to bat after tea, from which they reached 92/2 after Potts struck in the penultimate over to remove Rudolph.

McCarthy unlucky to take no wickets in a spell of 8-3-5-0 as left-hander Rudolph survived a searching examination from Durham's four seamers until he was strangled down the leg side for 43.

It was a deserved reward for Potts, who also had Nick Selman lbw for 16.

Rudolph twice edged Potts for four through the vacant third slip area and the youngster conceded only eight more runs in his eight overs.

When Durham resumed on 281/4, Paul Collingwood and Ryan Pringle added 47 in the first 12 overs.

Pringle hit Michael Hogan for three fours in four balls, but he fell lbw to the next to start the slide.

Graham Wagg had Paul Coughlin caught behind first ball, then Collingwood departed for 92 when a steeply-bouncing ball which Marchant de Lange lobbed off a glove to Aneurin Donald at gully.

An in-swinger from Wagg had Stuart Poynter lbw before de Lange banged another one in to have Potts caught at short leg.

Durham still needed 16 for the fourth batting point when Rushworth joined McCarthy, but they were relatively untroubled once de Lange rested after a 12-over spell, in which his two for 30 took his overall figures to five for 95.

McCarthy was on 30 when Rushworth fell for 38, chipping Hogan to mid-on with the total on 402.


Close, Day Two: Durham (281/4; Clark 109, Collingwood 71*; de Lange 3/65) trail Glamorgan (295; Selman 103; Rushworth 5/52) by 14 runs

Graham Clark's maiden first-class century put Durham in command on the second day of their Specsavers County Championship match against Glamorgan at Emirates Riverside.

It was evenly balanced when Paul Collingwood joined Clark on 87/3 in reply to 295, but Durham's record stand against the Welsh county of 185 helped them to 280/4.

Clark was out for 109 three overs before the close, but Collingwood remained unbeaten on 72, the sixth time in his last seven innings he has passed 50, including 127 and 92* at Swansea.

Marchant de Lange carried the greatest threat in the visiting attack and took three of the wickets.

But they continued to feed the pull in front of mid-wicket, which brought Clark a six and eight of the 17 fours in his 135-ball knock.

After Glamorgan's remaining three wickets added 74 in the morning the cooler day produced 354 runs, compared with 221 on the sun-baked first day.

De Lange chanced his arm with the bat it in making 37 before Barry McCarthy wrapped up the Glamorgan tail. De Lange drove him for a straight six before the Irishman found just enough swing to find the edge, Carey drove to mid-off and two balls later Michael Hogan edged a lavish drive to Stuart Poynter.

In reply, Stephen Cook made 14 before de Lange had him caught behind off a tentative prod.

Jack Burnham, returning after a broken thumb, contributed 25 to a stand of 41 with Cameron Steel before he edged Carey on to the chest of wicketkeeper Tom Cullen and the ball rebounded into the hands of Colin Ingram at first slip.

When de Lange returned for a second spell Steel upper cut his first ball for four, drove the second to the cover boundary and watched the fourth balloon over the keeper for four byes. But in attempting a second upper cut he edged a poor ball to Cullen to depart for 32.

That brought in Collingwood, who did well to keep out de Lange before beginning to accumulate steadily while relying on Clark to pepper the boundaries.

The captain brought up his half century shortly after his partner had launched Salter for six over wide mid-wicket to go past his previous best score of 83, set in the last match against Kent at Canterbury.

And he soon marched to three figures in 129 balls, pulling another short ball from off-spinner Salter away to the boundary.

The 24-year-old Cumbrian finally fell when he followed a de Lange away swinger and edged to give Cullen his third catch, but his work left Durham in control with two days remaining in the game.


Close, Day One: Glamorgan (221/7; Selman 103, Rushworth 5/40) vs Durham

Chris Rushworth grabbed his first five wicket haul of the season, handing Durham the advantage after a hard fought bowling performance on Day One against Glamorgan.

Nick Selman's second hundred against Durham this season battled the visitors to 221/7 but an all-round solid performance from the bowlers led Paul Collingwood's side into a strong position.

Rushworth hit back with the second new ball, grabbing three wickets to finish with 5/40 as the visitors slipped from 182/3 to close the first day on 221/7.

Having elected to bat in baking heat Glamorgan ground along all day, losing only one wicket in each of the first two sessions in reaching 147 from 66 overs.

Selman spent 249 balls over his hundred, getting there by inside-edging Rushworth for his 13th four. Three balls later he was lbw for 103.

Off-spinner Ryan Pringle conceded only 23 runs in 19 overs as Durham maintained their accuracy, with the other two wickets going to Academy seamer Matty Potts in his home debut.

Despite a minute's silence for the London fire victims at 11am, and a drinks break at noon, Durham got through 33 overs in an attritional first session.

Jacques Rudolph fell in the seventh over when Rushworth was rewarded for an excellent spell by clipping the left-hander's off bail before Andrew Salter edged Rushworth to wicketkeeper Stuart Poynter to end a stand of 66 in 34 overs with Selman.

Colin Ingram also made a cautious start but began to flourish when he drove Pringle through the covers then cut him for another four.He fell for 33 when Potts moved one away to have him caught behind.

When Rushworth took the new ball his fourth delivery swung in to take out Aneurin Donald's off stump. Then balls which nipped back had Selman and David Lloyd LBW.

Potts took the final wicket of the day when wicketkeeper Tom Cullen, handed his debut after Chris Cooke took a blow on the head in practice, was well caught at second slip by Pringle.