Durham Slide To Innings Defeat

Durham Slide To Innings Defeat

Durham Slide To Innings Defeat

John Hastings struck a spirited half-century in Durham's first innings

STUMPS, DAY THREE. Warwickshire 472 v Durham 171 all out (Hastings 51, Barker 6-46) & 113 all out (Patel 5-49) Warwickshire won by an innings and 188 runs.

Points - Warwickshire 24, Durham 2.

Durham suffered a second LV=County Championship defeat of the season after Warwickshire ran riot at Emirates Durham ICG.

Keith Barker (6-46 and 2-20) did most of the damage as the visitors coasted to victory inside three days.

The 27-year-old bowled superbly, finding swing and seam movement from the Finchale End to pick up six wickets in the day, which added to the two he collected on Monday evening.

Barker's heroics ensured that Durham tumbled to 171 all out and Warwickshire, over 300 runs ahead, enforced the follow-on.

Mark Stoneman and Scott Borthwick were then both dismissed without scoring, and despite a watchful stand of 71 from Keaton Jennings and Michael Richardson, the home side slid from 75-2 to 80-7 in the space of 23 balls.

Jeetan Patel (5-49) and Boyd Rankin (3-16) combined to sweep the hosts aside for 113 inside 50 overs.

This was the first time that Durham have suffered an innings defeat since 2010, and it leaves last season's champions with plenty to think about before the next championship fixture begins in mid-August.

A warm and sunny morning started in terrible fashion as Gordon Muchall and Paul Collingwood were dismissed by Barker within the space of three balls. Muchall had added seven to his overnight total before being trapped lbw and Collingwood nicked a good delivery through to Rikki Clarke at second slip.

Chris Wright's stiff back meant that Clarke bowled in tandem with Barker and Clarke encouraged Phil Mustard to drive and offer a catch to William Porterfield as the hosts were reduced to 83-6.

Despite the clatter of wickets Scott Borthwick looked in fine touch, with a straight drive off the bowling of Jonathan Trott that moved Borthwick onto 45 a particularly sumptuous stroke. The left-hander held his pose as the ball skated past the bowler and away to the Finchale End boundary.

Borthwick's innings then come to an abrupt halt though as Boyd Rankin's seventh delivery kept low and struck him on the pad, giving the umpire an easy decision to make.

Some lusty blows from the bat of John Hastings gave the home side a brief flicker of hope as the big Australian added 49 for the eighth wicket with Mark Wood. Hastings had earlier shown his intent when Trott was introduced into the attack by smashing him away for two boundaries from his first three balls.

Jeetan Patel was also clubbed away for a big leg side six by Hastings, who reached his second Durham half-century with a late cut from the final ball before lunch. The partnership came to an end shortly after the interval however when Barker tempted Wood into a tentative nibble outside his off-stump.

Producing regular movement in the air and off the pitch, Barker was proving to be almost unplayable and the former Blackburn and Rochdale footballer found a beautiful delivery to dismiss Hastings. The left-armer seamed the ball away from Hastings, who was playing a rare defensive stroke, and the ball was edged into the safe hands of Clarke at second slip.

The innings was wrapped up when Onions was stumped by Tim Ambrose, leaving Durham 152 runs short of the follow-on mark.

A disastrous start to the second innings followed. Barker reduced Durham to 4-2, with both Stoneman and Borthwick dismissed for ducks. The four runs on the scoreboard had arrived courtesy of extras.

Stoneman went first as he pushed away from his body and diverted the ball to Porterfield. The same combination worked again to see off Borthwick, who came forward to a fuller ball from Barker and edged into the Irishman's hands at third slip.

Under sustained pressure from a supremely confident bowling unit, Keaton Jennings and Michael Richardson dug in to resist the Warwickshire charge for two hours.

The foot marks that had been left by Barker's run-up were allowing Patel to find some considerable turn though, and after a determined 120-ball stay at the crease, Richardson popped up a catch to short leg. Muchall followed two balls later, pinned lbw after trying to play off the back foot.

Warwickshire could smell blood and Durham quickly collapsed from 75-2 to 80-7. Rankin forced Jennings to play on for 37, and shortly after Patel had Mustard caught at slip, Rankin darted a good ball into Collingwood's pads and the home side were on the brink.

In an effort to replicate his spirited knock from earlier in the day, Hastings swung his bat hard but holed out to long-on and Chris Rushworth was bowled two balls later.

Wood and Onions combined to help avoid the ignominy of a sub-100 total with six late boundaries, but the lively Rankin comprehensively bowled Wood to wrap up a resounding win.

STUMPS, DAY TWO. Warwickshire 472 (Hain 109*, Clarke 54, Hastings 5-94) v Durham 62-3. Durham trail Warwickshire by 410 runs with seven first innings wickets remaining.

Points - Warwickshire 6, Durham 2.

Scorecard - Click here

Video Highlights - Click here

John Hastings picked up a first five wicket haul for Durham, but an unbeaten century from Warwickshire youngster Sam Hain put the visitors in control on day two.

Hain (109*), who will turn 19 on Wednesday, now has a second reason to celebrate as the former Australia Under 19 international reached three figures to help his side pick up maximum batting points.

Whilst Hastings (5-94), Scott Borthwick (3-70) and Graham Onions (1-121) picked up wickets, generally it was a day that the bowling unit would prefer to forget.

In a rain affected final session, Durham lost three wickets during their reply to increase Warwickshire's grip on the contest.

Skilful seam bowling from Keith Barker (2-22) accounted for Keaton Jennings and Michael Richardson after Chris Wright forced Mark Stoneman to edge a catch behind.

Just as at Headingley last week, Durham's batsmen will have a lot of work to do in order to avoid a second championship defeat of the campaign.

Hastings had given the home side an ideal start to the day's play although he was grateful to Tim Ambrose, as the Warwickshire keeper left a delivery that swung in and crashed into off stump.

Rikki Clarke, who has hit four half-centuries against Durham during his career, moved swiftly towards his fifth by striking Borthwick for successive sixes half an hour before lunch.

A straight drive took the former England all-rounder to his 50 from 71 balls and he celebrated his milestone with another boundary from the very next ball as he whipped Collingwood through wide mid-on.

Hain reached his own half-century in the next over from Hastings with a firm push off the back foot. That boundary also brought up the century partnership, but Hastings would end the stand with his fifth wicket just five balls later as he pitched the ball up and encouraged Clarke to drive and a lack of foot movement proved costly. A thick outside edge followed and the former Surrey man was caught by Mustard.

The men from Edgbaston reached lunch on 367-7 and the teams were in a jostle to register maximum bonus points before the 110 over cut-off point.

Warwickshire won the race, reaching the 400 mark despite the loss of Keith Barker, who smashed a full toss from Borthwick back to the bowler. Borthwick clung on at the second attempt but his side couldn't grab the ninth wicket in time to pick up a third bowling point.

After hitting two half-centuries in this fixture last season, New Zealand International Jeetan Patel was always likely to prove an awkward customer and he managed to make 32 before a barrage of bouncers from Graham Onions finally did the trick. Onions took his first wicket since the 11th of May when Patel tried to upper cut a short ball over slip but only succeeded in feathering an edge through to Mustard.

Last man Boyd Rankin dug in to support Main, who was closing in on a second century in only his seventh championship appearance. The Hong Kong born youngster reached three figures from the 188th ball he faced by getting up on his toes and cutting Onions over point for his 12th boundary.

Having done his job, Rankin was then pinned lbw by Borthwick to finally wrap up the Warwickshire innings at the start of the 125th over.

Tea was taken to leave Durham with a meaty 42 over evening session, but that was reduced after a rain shower forced the players off for just over an hour.

With the 1,000 first class runs in a season mark on the horizon, Stoneman set about playing in his usual attacking manner but got an inside edge to a drive and Ambrose took an excellent sprawling catch down to his right.

Whilst Wright had accounted for Stoneman, it was Barker who was looking the more dangerous customer from the Finchale End. The former professional footballer sneaked a delivery past a forward defensive shot from Jennings and then tempted Richardson to edge into Clarke at second slip.

Richardson summed up Durham's day with a kick of the turf as he left the middle, although Borthwick's four boundaries showed the left-handers intent to continue his recent run of good form at home.

STUMPS, DAY ONE. Warwickshire 256-5 (Porterfield 90, Trott 76) v Durham. Warwickshire lead Durham by 256 runs with five first innings wickets remaining.

Points - Warwickshire 2, Durham 1.

Scorecard - Click here

Video Highlights - Click here

Durham's bowlers took three important late wickets after being left frustrated for large parts of the day at Emirates Durham ICG.

The hosts had been held up by a combination of the weather and the Warwickshire duo of Will Porterfield and Jonathan Trott, before both were dismissed in the final hour of play.

A series of light showers wiped out the morning session so the players took an early lunch and play finally got underway at 1.45.

Porterfield (90) and Trott (76) then put on a century partnership for the third wicket to ensure that the men from the Midlands built a solid first innings platform.

But then Scott Borthwick (1-17) dismissed Porterfield and John Hastings (3-52) took the key wicket of Trott before he bowled nightwatchman Chris Wright in the final over of the day.

Ian Westwood was the other batsman to fall, with captain Paul Collingwood (1-12) picking up his first championship wicket of the year.

With a blanket of grey cloud overhead, Collingwood had asked Warwickshire to bat first as the hosts looked to make early inroads with a pace attack containing last season's top championship wicket-taker.

Graham Onions replaced Paul Coughlin in the side as Head Coach Jon Lewis made one change to the team that drew with Yorkshire.

Visiting skipper Varun Chopra hit a boundary off Onions' first delivery since the seamer suffered a back injury at Sussex on the 11th of May, although the Durham man quickly settled into his usual rhythm as he bowled a maiden in his second over.

Chopra tucked another four through mid-wicket and then drove a ball firmly down the ground before John Hastings forced the opener to chop onto his stumps.

Warwickshire had enjoyed a positive start though, as Westwood and Porterfield then added 57 for the second wicket as home frustrations started to surface.

Collingwood brought himself into the attack and struck with the first ball of his third over as Westwood edged to Gordon Muchall, who took a neat catch down to his left side.

With England International Trott next in, the Durham skipper quickly brought Mark Wood back on from the Finchale End and gave his bowler a clear instruction to bowl short.

Trott dealt with the barrage pretty comfortably, and he was unbeaten on 24 when the players went in for the tea interval.

Irish International Porterfield moved to an 81 ball half-century shortly after play resumed and the sun started to break through the grey clouds.

The batsmen enjoyed the brighter conditions and Trott executed a number of his favoured shots to reach a busy and assured 50 from only 66 deliveries. The 33-year-old was particularly strong off his hip, flicking a number of balls away for runs on the on-side.

Trott and Porterfield added 131 and looked in almost total command, although Porterfield was dropped by Scott Borthwick at slip after the left-hander had gloved a short delivery from Onions.

It was Borthwick who eventually broke the partnership when he was introduced from the Finchale End and bagged the wicket of Porterfield with his third delivery. The former Gloucestershire batsmen tried a pull shot but the ball hit the top edge and looped up to give Phil Mustard a simple catch.

New batsmen Sam Main, who will turn 19 on the final day of this game, joined Trott at the crease and the pair tried to ease the visitors through to the close but then Hastings struck with the first ball of his third spell.

Trott angled his bat to a full delivery and guided the ball straight to Muchall at gully, giving Durham an important late injection of impetus on day one.

Chris Wright was sent in as a nightwatchmen, but he could only survive 11 balls before Hastings yorked the former Essex seamer in the final over.