Durham Seconds Lose Power At Hinckley

Durham Seconds Lose Power At Hinckley

Durham Seconds Lose Power At Hinckley

Ryan Pringle hit scores of 125 and 54 in the defeat to Leicestershire

STUMPS, DAY THREE. Leicestershire 2nd XI 393-9 & 214-7 dec (Thornley 108, Boyce 60) v Durham 2nd XI 301-9 & 255 all out (Pringle 54). Leicestershire 2nd XI beat Durham 2nd XI by 51 runs.

Points - Leicestershire 24, Durham 8.

Scorecard - Click here

A late order collapse resulted in Durham 2nd XI losing to Leicestershire 2nd XI by 51 runs at Hinckley CC.

Set 307 to win in less than a day, the visitors had to try and score quickly in order to triumph and at 217-4, a second victory of the championship campaign looked to be on the cards.

But captain Calum MacLeod was then bowled for 26, and his side tumbled to defeat as they lost six wickets for 38 runs inside nine overs.

Ryan Pringle top-scored for Durham in both innings. The University of Sunderland graduate added to the 125 he scored the previous day with a fluent fifty.

Earlier in the day, Leicestershire opener Michael Thornley reached an unbeaten century from 177 balls before the hosts declared with seven wickets down.

Paul Coughlin (4-41) was the pick of the bowling attack, as the 21-year-old seamer grabbed four wickets in 12 overs to push his case for a recall to the first team.

A familiar pattern then emerged during the Durham run chase as all of the top six built solid platforms but couldn't quite manage to convert them into match-winning performances.

Former England U19 International Atif Sheikh dismissed both openers, with Reece Carr (29) and Graham Clark (40) caught behind by wicketkeeper Lewis Hill.

Pringle and Rammy Singh (35) added 57 for the third wicket until the leg spin of Usman Tariq accounted for the pair.

After MacLeod's dismissal, Stuart Poynter couldn't celebrate his call-up to the first team squad for Sunday's game against Sri Lanka A with a fifty, as he perished 14 runs short.

Usman Arshad struck two fours and a six but Ollie Freckingham removed him and Gavin Main in successive balls to seal the win.

Durham 2nd XI are next in action on Tuesday July 22nd in a one-day trophy match against Yorkshire at Marske.

STUMPS, DAY TWO. Leicestershire 2nd XI 393-9 & 101-0 (Boyce 56*) v Durham 2nd XI 301-9 dec (Pringle 125). Leicestershire 2nd XI lead Durham 2nd XI by 193 runs with 10 second innings wickets remaining.

Scorecard - Click here

In the county of Leicestershire, Henry Walker and his famous brand of crisps normally reign supreme.

But on Wednesday, it was a big day for the Pringle family.

Durham's Ryan Pringle hit a superb 125, his second in championship cricket for the 2nd XI, to help the visitors declare on 301.

Pringle's 163-ball innings contained 20 boundaries and equalled his previous best score against Derbyshire's 2nd XI just over three years ago.

After Durham's declaration, the home side had reached 101 without loss at the close to leave them nearly 200 runs ahead with a day to play.

Starting the day on 18-0, Reece Carr was dismissed early by former Middlesex and Gloucestershire seamer Anthony Ireland, which brought Pringle to the middle.

Together with the in-form Graham Clark, Pringle helped to put on 62 for the second wicket, which ended up being the highest partnership of the innings.

Clark was bowled for 46 by the returning Ollie Freckingham, who was making his first appearance since May due to injury.

Three more decent partnerships followed for Durham with Pringle the aggressor in each one, as the 22-year-old clubbed away two sixes during his stay at the crease.

When Pringle was finally dismissed by the medium pace of Shiv Thakor, Alastair Maiden's team still needed some runs from the tail in order to get beyond 300.

Number 10 Matt Milnes (27*) duly obliged, as captain MacLeod signalled for the declaration to give the home side 30 overs to bat during the afternoon.

Openers Matthew Boyce and Michael Thornley, with plenty of first class experience between them, progressed nicely before the close and Boyce reached his half-century shortly before stumps were drawn.

STUMPS, DAY ONE. Leicestershire 2nd XI 393-9 dec (Tariq 179, Wells 92, Ali 52) v Durham 2nd XI 18-0. Durham 2nd XI trail Leicestershire 2nd XI by 375 runs with 10 first innings wickets remaining.

Scorecard - Click here

Leicestershire's Usman Tariq scored a big century on day one of the second eleven championship match with Durham at Hinckley Town CC.

There were wickets for Usman Arshad (3-52), Gavin Main (3-68) and Paul Coughlin (2-92), all of whom have played championship cricket for the first team this year, but generally this was a day when bat dominated ball.

Tariq played an integral role in two big partnerships, as he and Tom Wells (92) put on 180 for the fourth wicket, before he helped to add a further 131 for the sixth wicket with Aadil Ali (52).

At 30 years of age and with over 130 first class appearances to his name, Tariq showed his vast experience during a 266-ball stay at the crease.

After a long day in the field, the Durham opening pair of Reece Carr and Graham Clark had to face an awkward six overs, but the duo emerged unscathed.

The morning session had started well for Calum MacLeod's side as Matt Milnes continued his good recent form with the early wicket of Michael Thornely. The former Sussex man was bowled without scoring in the fourth over, but Matthew Boyce (29) and Tariq rebuilt with a stand of 56.

It was Arshad who made the breakthrough when he forced Boyce to edge behind to Stuart Poynter, and the same combination worked again 19 balls later to send Shiv Thakor back to the pavilion.

Leicestershire went into lunch on 106-3 so honours appeared to be even, but Tariq and Wells then combined to seize control during the afternoon session. Wells plundered 13 boundaries in an aggressive innings and looked set for three figures until Coughlin had him caught behind.

Lewis Hill was bowled by Coughlin for a duck shortly after, but Tariq proved more difficult to dislodge and he joined forces with Ali to push the score towards the 400 mark.

Tariq was finally bowled by Arshad and Main then claimed three victims as Leicestershire lost four wickets for four runs late on.