Seconds start Championship season with draw

Seconds start Championship season with draw

Seconds start Championship season with draw


Result: Durham 2nd XI (137; Clark 55) drew with Warwickshire 2nd XI (252 & 182/4d; Umeed 86*)

Rain once again intervened on the final day as Durham opened their 2nd XI Championship campaign with a draw at Warwickshire.

The hosts declared with a lead of 297 runs late on Day Three, with Scottish opener Andrew Umeed scoring 86*.

But the rain returned and any small chance of a home victory was wiped out as handshakes were called on a draw.

Durham had earlier collapsed from an overnight position of 114/5 to 137 all out.

None of the final six batters reached double figures as George Panayi took two wickets in his only three balls of the game to round the innings off.

Jamie Harrison started superbly, having Ateeq Javid caught behind by wicketkeeper Stuart Poynter.

There were regular wickets, including a further two for Gurman Randhawa, but Umeed's innings allowed the hosts to build a big total.

Once they declared, however, the rain interrupted after wiping out a large part of Day Two.

Durham's next fixture is a One-Day Cup fixture followed by two T20 matches, both against the Unicorns at Burnopfield CC.


Close, Day Two: Durham 2nd XI (114/5) trail Warwickshire 2nd XI (252; Hickey 4/46) by 138 runs

Live updates here

A result looks highly unlikely as the second day of Durham 2nd XI's match with Warwickshire 2nd XI fell foul of the weather.

Constant rain at EFSG Portland Road left the ground sodden and players frustrated before play was abandoned for the day.

If and when play resumes on the third and final day, Durham will resume 138 runs shy of the hosts' first innings with five wickets in hand.


Close, Day One: Durham 2nd XI (114/5) trail Warwickshire 2nd XI (252; Hickey 4/46) by 138 runs

Live updates here

Late wickets handed Warwickshire the advantage after Day One of the Second XI Championship game at EFSG Portland Road.

Spinner Adam Hickey took 4/46 to restrict the hosts to 252 all out, with the last four wickets falling for ten runs.

Durham made a good start, with Graham Clark passing 50 again, as they reached 84/1.

But three late wickets wiped out the top order, leaving plenty of work for Neil Killeen's side ahead of Day Two.

Warwickshire's decision to bat seemed a poor one after Paul Coughlin removed Ateeq Javid in the first over.

Jamie Harrison then took two in quick succession, including Scotland batsman Freddie Coleman, but the hosts hit back through Alex Mellor and Matthew Lamb and they both made half-centuries.

They both fell soon after, the latter Hickey's first wicket, before the spinner mopped up the tail with four wickets for ten runs - Gurman Randhawa chipped in with a solitary wicket.

In reply, Durham lost Hickey for 12 but Clark continued his excellent recent form and reached 50, including 10x4s.

He edged behind on 55 and it looked as though Durham would see the day out without further damage. 

But three late wickets, including two in the last two overs, set the visitors back in and leaves them with plenty of work to recover a decent positon ahead of Day Two.