Killeen & Randhawa see Seconds home by one-wicket

Killeen & Randhawa see Seconds home by one-wicket

Killeen & Randhawa see Seconds home by one-wicket


Result: Durham (325 & 160/9; Killeen 22*) beat Leicestershire (242 & 242; Randhawa 7/69) by one wicket

Seven wickets for Gurman Randhawa and an unbeaten 22 from Neil Killeen saw the Seconds to a nailbiting one-wicket win over Leicestershire.

Having started the day on 135/5, Leicestershire boosted their score up to 242 and on par with their first innings total.

It left Durham needing 160 to win and they looked to be home safely until a string of middle-order wickets.

And it was left to Killeen, stepping in due to the absence of Stuart Poynter on First XI duty, to steer his side home with a wicket to spare.

Randhawa started the day with 3/22 and added four more on the third morning, finishing with figures of 7/69.

Durham's reply started strongly and though they lost Nick Hobson for six, Adam Hickey and Calum MacLeod both made 28.

But a spate of single figure scores left them on 124/8 and still 36 runs short when Killeen strode to the crease.

Another wicket fell but he was joined by Gurjit Sandhu, who made six not out, and the pair saw it home in a tantalising finish.


Close, Day One: Durham (107/1; Hobson 57*) trail Leicestershire (242; Wells 71) by 135 runs

Durham took charge of their Second XI Championship match at Leicestershire after a commanding first day at Desborough Town CC.

After losing the toss and being put into field, Adam Hickey's men bowled the hosts out for 242.

Tom Wells top-scored with 71 while Gurjit Sandhu took four wickets, while George Harding (pictured) and Gurman Randhawa took two.

Despite losing Hickey early in the reply, Durham racked up 107/1 in 17 overs with Nick Hobson 57* and Stuart Poynter 36*.

Sandhu struck early in the innings before a second wicket partnership involving Wells and Aadil Ali went beyond 50.

Randhawa's spin saw off Ali and a run-out left Leicestershire three down at lunch.

Harding took two more after lunch, either side of Wells being stumped by Poynter off Randhawa, to hand the initiative back to Durham.

A 45-run partnership for the second wicket staved off a collapse until the end came quickly as Gavin Main recorded a first and Sandhu finished off the final three.

Graham Onions got through two spells without a wicket as he keeps up match sharpness ahead of the Specsavers County Championship at Somerset.

Hickey went early, trapped lbw in the first over, before Hobson and Poynter put on a stand to see out the remaining 16 overs.

Hobson raced to 50 from 43 balls and their 100 partnership came up in 89 balls as Durham assumed a position of strength ahead of the second day.